Monday, February 6, 2017

Girl's Night Out at the Black Hole - Sakura and Kaitlin

Sakura Yamada walked out the side door and was about to head back to Sakura's and then saw a familiar head of red going grey hair and walked over "Kaitlin! Hi!"

Kaitlin Reinhardt is coming back from the dumpster, wiping her hands on a wet wipe.  She smiles.  "Oh Hello Sakura!"  she beams.  "I thought I heard you in the hallway a little bit ago.  Stop by to see that beautiful grand child of yours?"  she wonders.

Sakura Yamada beams "Oh yes...precious cuddles, but short. She needs her mama more than anyone and I remember. I try not to impose on them, just drop in with coffee, meals for the freezer..." She smiles "You look nice. Are you going out somewhere?"

Kaitlin Reinhardt smiles.  "Well that must be wonderful .. meals for the freezer.  I never got that." she glances down at herself.  "What?  No, well I took out the trash.  Changed Aprils litter box.  Why?"

Sakura Yamada looks down at her jeans and sweater and then to Kaitlin "I'm bumming around a bit but you're all dressed up." She head juts to the bar "Let's go get a glass of wine? I'll text Stephanie but the restaurant is quiet tonight."

Kaitlin Reinhardt considers.  "You know ... I .. I was never allowed to wear pants."  she sighs.  "That's .... different, isn't it?" she glances at the bar.  "Oh that does sound nice."  she looks anxious, but its already pretty well know this woman doesn't get out much.

Sakura Yamada looks curious about the pants thing but doesn't comment...yet. Sakura can tell she needs to take the lead here and pays their cover. They don't get ID'd with the grey hair and she chuckles as they walk in "Let's find a table first. I don't come here often....it can be loud if there's a band..."

Kaitlin Reinhardt follows Sakura's lead and pays the cover with her wallet which is in her skirt pocket.  She comes in with slightly wide eyes, looking around as if she has never been here before ... which she hasn't.

Sakura Yamada sits down at a table and gestures to the chair opposite "It can be a fun place to people watch though....maybe we should blend in and have beer...." She laughs.

Kaitlin Reinhardt smiles and sits, looking around, almost like a child, but obviously she is not.  "Oh a beer sounds nice."  she shrugs.  "I'm... a little out of my ... element ...." she confesses.

Sakura Yamada grins "Me too....but it's kind of fun." She takes out her phone "Let's text our kids and tell them we're at The Black Hole drinking." She grins mischievously and does so to Steph.

Kaitlin Reinhardt giggles and nods.  She pulls out her phone and plays with it a bit .. apparently texting one or both of her sons.

Sakura waves at Molly and Molly walks over with a kind smile "Could we have two of those Rocket Fuel beer I'm seeing the posters for please? Thank you dear and cute dress." After Molly leaves she squints at Kaitlin "So no pants? Your parents...or your husband's rule? what about for yard work?"

Kaitlin Reinhardt nods at the order and admires the dress, but silently.  Then she sighs.  "Well, both, actually."  she explains.  "My mother was very old fashioned.  Young ladies and skirts.  And Heinrich married me because I was everything he thought a demure little housewife should be, right down to a mid thigh or longer skirt." she plucks at her skirt.  "I can garden in a skirt .. I can even scrub the floor in one.  Pants look SO MUCH MORE freeing but I don't think I could."  her husband has been dead over a month now, but still had a hand to her throat in many ways.

Sakura Yamada looks thoughtful "Do you want to try pants? You get to do what works for YOU now...and I won't pressure you...but I do love shopping if you decide you want to go pick out a pair."

Kaitlin Reinhardt looks around the bar as if there might be some German Dead Guy Agent Spy about.  Leaning forward she smiles.  "I think I would like to.  Maybe just for around the house, you know. My granddaughter Fiona and her friend Addison offered but ... well... I don't know about young peoples tastes."

Sakura Yamada shakes her head "Again, it's about you. Don't buy teenage girl jeans, buy jeans...or pants that are to your tastes...."

Kaitlin Reinhardt sighs.  "That's the thing, Sakura."  for a moment she looks lost.  "I have no idea what kind of pants I would like.  Heinrich didn't control my wardrobe THAT much but I knew what he would like to see me in and after a while....that became all I knew."

Sakura Yamada rolls her eyes "Ugh sounds like Trump and his women should dress like women crap. I swear that man's going to get assassinated..." She sighs and comes back to the topic "Well I hope he at least expressed his appreciation as men can when we ...wear what they like? I mean all other shortcomings aside from what you've told me."

Kaitlin Reinhardt shrugs and then nods.  "Te thing that scared me so much is how much Trump and Heinrich think alike."  she turns beet red."Yes ...for everything ... he was very ... appreciative.  I don't know why we didn't have 6 kids between John and Michael ...there wee issues after Michael and a surgery but...."

Sakura Yamada looks curious "I won't ask if you don't wish to talk about it....god that would make 8 kids though. Hiro and I thought we couldn't have anymore after Stephanie but then we got a special surprise with Ryan quite a bit later."

Kaitlin Reinhardt shakes her head.  "I don't mind.  Heinrich wanted 12... BOYS .. although I don't know how I could have controlled that, but he wanted sons.  I suspect it came from his father somehow, who i didn't know well but Heinrich was a chip off that block.  I felt so bad when I didn't get pregnant .. and Michael...I know I sort of spoiled him a little bit because Heinrich was just so glad I could give him another son ..." she rolled her eyes.  "And they both hate him.  Hated."

Sakura Yamada sighs "that's hard but he brought it on himself. Yuki did ...tell us..." She offers "He said he asked you if he could first. and I am sorry...."

Kaitlin Reinhardt nods.  "I understand.  I don't mind .. i mean it was't exactly a secret.  But I didn't know what to do.  No skills. And by the time I got pregnant with Michael, I still couldn't imagine raising ONE son alone, never mind BOTH of them."she sighs as the beers are brought.  "Thank you, dear." she pauses and when they are more or less alone.  "I still feel I should have done something but .... well ... The boys hated their father for what he did to all of us but I think a lot too what happened to me."

Sakura Yamada takes a long sip and then says "Kaitlin...you know there are counselors and groups of people who've been through this. I know you're not in it...but it might help you process it."

Kaitlin Reinhardt opens her eyes wide.  "It's ..  I mean .. I know .. and ...  its hard enough talking to the boys.  But talking to you and Yuki ... friends.  I don't know if I could really tell COMPLETE strangers. You're going to be a Reinhardt too .. gods help you."  she teases a little.

Sakura Yamada smiles kindly "I'm happy to be here for you....I know Yuki would be anytime too. Heart of gold that man. And I think our families are very well matched...." She grins.

Kaitlin Reinhardt nods.  "It's been very helpful.  Yuki is a friend and."  she giggles.  "I think so too. Michael swore in Gaelic with the same passion at your Stephanie swore in Japanese at their baby pics.  Goodness what's wrong with them?  They were BOTH under 5."  she rolls her eyes but has the evil mother glint in her eyes as she sips her beer.

Sakura Yamada snorts "Well matched. Poor Tristan will know all the bad words in three languages." She looks around the bar noticing a drunk couple at the pool table beside them. they're happy drunks though and alternate between making terrible mishots and making out as they press each other against the table. Sakura glances at Kaitlin and back to the couple and says quietly "Goodness..."

Kaitlin Reinhardt giggles.  "Well,that will prepare him for life.  I suppose we should teach him how to demand to be taken to the embassy and given a lawyer, too."  she watches the happy couple.  "Were you ever .... affectionate .. like that in public?"  she wonders, just as quietly.

Sakura Yamada smiles at the couple and then Kaitlin "Oh maybe when we were younger. I mean we still kiss and hug and hold hands but you tone it down after kids and the raunchier side happens quietly behind closed doors." She can't help but laugh.

Kaitlin Reinhardt nods.  "Well, kids are wonderful .. but I almost wonder how we manager to eve TRY and get pregnant when John was a baby baby .... and HE went on to have THREE ... well Irish triplets I suppose you could call them."

Sakura Yamada nods "Things were distant when you got pregnant with John? And god his poor wife, non stop pregnant?"

Kaitlin Reinhardt shrugs.  "The bigger I got, the less interested Heinrich was.  Like I could be that tiny think after a dozen."  she rolls her eyes and then nods.  "They almost broke up over it.  They love Fiona and Owen and Seamus but there's barely 30 or 32 months between the three of them.  Colleen got scared ... and I don't blame her.  But .. they didn't divorce."  she sighs  "I am glad Michael divorced.I mean even before I knew why he married Sara."

Sakura Yamada frowns "But he was desperate for babies...well sons? That's ridiculous." She nods about John and Colleen and then says "The gay cover, Stephanie did tell me that."

Kaitlin Reinhardt sighs.  "Heinrich ... it was like he thought the more sons he had the more .. manly he was?  I do't pretend to understand the way he thought.  But he was very happy with how big our boys were."  she nods about Michael.  "I am so glad Heinrich never knew.  He would have killed Michael. And I don't mean like when you or I might say 'if he isn't home in 10 minutes I'm going to kill him.'  I mean Heinrich would have killed Michael if he knew he was gay ..and if I got it he'd say he would kill me too."

Sakura Yamada looks completely horrified by this "How could he feel that way about his own son? I'll be honest...Garrett coming out as bi was a surprise at first...but we love him and if he's happy that's all that matters."

Kaitlin Reinhardt sighs. "Heinrich says it is unnatural, against God and perverted."  she smiles.  "Oh that Ziven is a dear."  she pauses.  "I think people should be able to love anyone.  Garrett and Ziven are a beautiful and so are India and Ryan .. and Jayla .. oh she is so beautiful."  she giggles.  "Ryan will have his hands full when she gets older.

Sakura Yamada laughs "Yes he will. but he's a cop so I suppose he can scare them but putting on the uniform. Michael has made Stephanie so happy....it's refreshing after all she's been through. You know Tristan's biological father left her when she was giving birth right?"

Kaitlin Reinhardt nods.  "Plus no he has Michael .. who has been using his size to intimidate people since he was 10 or so."  she frowns slightly.  "Michael said something like he left before Tristan was born.  How awful." she sighs.  "But Tristan seems to adore Michael. But again ... glad Heinrich is dead."

Sakura Yamada remembers everything Yuki said "Because we're Japanese?" She shakes her head "It's OK Kaitlin. .... and yes Tristan adores him completely."

Kaitlin Reinhardt sighs and does indeed nod.  "Yes.  And ... I'd hate to think what he would say abut little Jayla.  He might have been able to deal with Tristan. Is his father white?"  she wonders.

Sakura Yamada's face hardens "Colin was white, and a criminal as it turned out as well as a man who ditched a woman with a baby. He shot a man here during a robbery and then in another robbery on Alexandra, shot their chief of police, Ryan's best friend Adum. Adum lived...thank god but he shot Colin at the same time. Colin died. It was a mess. And yes I know there are some people who would be very closed minded to Ryan and India's relationship, even more so than Stephanie and Michael. My parents wanted me to marry a Japanese man....so it's much of the same, but I dated around a bit and then chose Hiro because he was a lovable goof. Truth be told, I had a tiny crush on Nick for a long time before Hiro and I got together. We all went to school together."

Kaitlin Reinhardt listens, all at once fascinated and horrified at Colin's story.  "That IS one of the things I worry about happening to Michael.  But more when he was in Vancouver.  He worked in the worst part of it. By choice.  I think to impress his father."  and then she nods.  "My mother wanted me to marry a stable man.  Heinrich didn't seem so ... stoic ... when we were dating.  I knew he was old fashioned and I knew he fought.  But he was so sweet and tender ... as long as I knew and stayed in my place." she sighs.

Sakura Yamada sighs "You've been through a lot. I worry about Ryan, and now Michael too. Ryan was in Vancouver too but not a rough precinct. It's still better here...it's the community too I think."

Kaitlin Reinhardt nods.  "This place reminds me a little on Ravenbaile, where I grew up in Ireland.  So does Alexandra, for that matter.  Nice and peaceful places. Oh I HATED Vancouver . I was glad to stay home with Heinrich to protect me."

Sakura Yamada smiles "There's beauty to be found in Vancouver....but the driving to get there sometimes. I hate the freeways. I make Hiro drive them." She pauses and then asks "Ravenbaile...sounds like a fairy tale place."

Kaitlin Reinhardt nods.  "I don't drive.  Maybe I can learn.  Yuki offered to teach me to sail, so maybe driving after that."  she smiles."Oh, it is.  My family believes in magic.  An Irish thing, maybe."

Sakura Yamada laughs "On his hunka junk? Wear a life jacket!" she looks curious "So like leprechauns and pots of gold?" It's a bit of a tease.

Kaitlin Reinhardt giggles.  "I will.  But I love the water and I can swim.  maybe I can get a little boat and then I won't NEED a drivers license.  I can boat around to here and Alexandra and even one of those ports in Vancouver."  she giggles.  "Exactly.  bit leprechauns CAN turn nasty." she giggles.  "Maybe we can get Hiro ad Yuki to dress as leprechauns .. not for the family album, since they don't seem to like that .. why I don't know .. but just .. well ... cause I'd love to see them in green."

Sakura Yamada grins a bit "Hiro will wear anything if I ask the right way..." She suddenly blushes a little "Yuki's the harder sell....but shorter. He'd make a great leprechaun..." She laughs now.

Kaitlin Reinhardt considers.  "Well, maybe if I tell him it would cheer me up."  she suggests.  "Yuki makes me laugh..and that really hasn't been easy the last ... well... few DECADES." she grins. "But he would wouldn't he?  The little hat ad the shoes ad the green pipe."  she finishes her beer and is amused to note she isn't actually drunk ... just having a good time.

Sakura Yamada takes another long sip "I like you Kaitlin. I think you should call him and ask him after another beer." She signals Molly and holds up her near done bottle.

Kaitlin Reinhardt purses her lips.  "well... I DO just live right upstairs...."  she nods and holds up her own. "And Michael did something .. that place is right over this stage here."  she points.  And its not dead quiet but the music isn't as loud as it should be.  So its peaceful up there with April."

Sakura Yamada giggles "Oh you mean you'll call Yuki from home after? Aww I want to know what he says...." She laughs a little evilly.

Kaitlin Reinhardt bites her lip.  "You know, I just might."  she considers it.  "Because I want to know what he'll say,also.  I'm still waiting on warmer weather for my first boating lesson.  Or he's got cold feet."

Sakura Yamada: Molly brings two more beers and Sakura thanks her and then takes a big sip looking curiously at Kaitlin and then smirking "What was it you said at the pizza night that got Yuki so red in the face? He was completely flustered....I haven't seen him like that since...." She trails off with a sudden look of dawning and then waits for the reply.

Kaitlin Reinhardt takes her beer and thinks back.  "Oh.. I think you mean when I mentioned naked men setting the table." she smiles and sips her drink, looking at Sakura.  "What?  Why?"

Sakura Yamada shrugs and then says "i probably shouldn't tell you this....he is shy about certain topic...but I haven't seen a woman fluster him like that since...well since Rei." She shrugs looking at her as she sips again.

Kaitlin Reinhardt smiles.  "That's sweet."  she says, sipping.  "He can really make me smile ..and laugh.  And open up. But ..."  she sips again.  "He's like that with everyone, I bet.  Just that kind of friendly."

Sakura Yamada puts her bottle down "Friendly yes, with everyone. hell he went and played chess with the cab driver who brought him to our place that night already...but it was his awkwardness. I dunno maybe I'm reading him wrong. He's never dated anyone since Rei died so it has been awhile but I could swear...our Yuki has a little crush on you."

Kaitlin Reinhardt freezes with the bottle almost at her lips and turns crimson.  "Oh ......"  she blinks.  "That's... oh ..... that's .. very sweet." it suggests she might be there, recent widow or not ... her marriage was a nightmare, after all.

Sakura Yamada sips again and doesn't keep pushing, seeing the reaction that answers any question of whether or not she should nudge Yuki a little too. She casually changes the topic "So jeans or pants?"

Kaitlin Reinhardt considers.  "Denim is very long lasting.  And casual." she happily grabs onto the subject.  "But maybe slacks too.  Maybe .. oh what are these things that come up to your ankles ..."  she thinks and then snaps her fingers.  "Something I can go boating in."  she declares and the blush that was fading blooms on her cheeks again.

Sakura Yamada beams at the fashion talk and the fact that the blush resurfaces "Capris! Yes I love them....very practical choice and it shows just enough leg without giving it all away."
Kaitlin Reinhardt blinks and then laughs a bit nervously. "Yes ad ..if I fall overboard, I might be able to swim."  she sips again.  "Sakura .. am I having too much fun?"  she wonders.  Hers is a very unique situation.

Sakura Yamada looks confused by the question "Too much fun? Joining with a new family, celebrating your children and grandchildren and letting a nice man make you laugh? I think Kaitlin, you are simply....living."

Kaitlin Reinhardt smiles and nods slowly. "So this is life?"  she grins and holds up her beer.  "To life and living it."  she toasts.

Sakura Yamada toasts back and grins "I'll drink to that."

No comments:

Post a Comment