Sunday, October 30, 2016

The Brothers Reinhardt

Michael Reinhardt drives off of the ferry and straight down Water Street in Alexandra. "They really DO have holiday decorations up already." he observes, half amazed and half bemused at the hanging snowflakes and icicle lights between the lamp posts. At the clinic, he pulls into the parking lot and parks his car. Getting out, he looks at the pharmacy, which looks quite normal now. He looks at Stephanie. "Ready to meet my brother?" he teases.

Stephanie smiles, now in baggy jeans and a t shirt and hoodie instead of a glamorous neck plunging evening gown. She's traded her contacts back for glasses, washed off all the makeup and her hair is scooped into it's usual haphazard twist. "It's like the north pole over here. Do they have a secret stash of elves?" She nods, glancing at the pharmacy too, the last place the father of her child lived and breathed, and shot someone who was beloved by her own family and this town. After a steely breath she replies "Yes I am."

John Reinhardt sits casually in the Sigh coffee shop with his phone in hand, scrolling through his daughter Fiona's Instagram with the odd cringe. He slowly sips a peppermint mocha, the foam settling in a bit on his mustache.

Michael puts his arm around her as they walk, knowing she is probably thinking of the shooting that happened in this very town. "They sure love winter." he chuckles as they pass City hall and continue across to the doors of Sigh. A dark haired boy is playing, of all things and on all instruments, Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This on a lyre. At his feet is a case, with coins and bills in it. Michael chuckles and goes for his wallet, taking out a five and dropping it in the case. Then he opens the door and holds it for Steph.

Steph smiles at the song and Michael donating to the young player. She steps through the held door with a "Thank you." and then immediately locks eyes with a man who is clearly Michael's brother, watching them come in with auburn hair an unmistakable grin that just has to be genetic.

John grins wider at Stephanie and waves at them both with one hand as he clicks off the screen of his phone with the other. As they approach he greets Steph first "You look way too nice for this smarmy bastard. Do you owe him money or something?"

Stephanie laughs "Not so far. You must be John. Good to meet you." She reaches out a hand to shake and he shakes it firmly while looking at Michael "Good grip this lady of yours."


Michael sees his brother and watches the exchange. "You better be nice. This is my bodyguard." he warns his brother and when the handshake is done he hits John in the shoulder. "John ... this is Stephanie. Stephanie, this my dufus brother." he pulls a chair out for Steph to sit and then does himself. "You got a smartphone?" he looks at it, clearly amazed. "Its the end of the world."


John shudders at it like he's slightly allergic "Kids bought it for me for my birthday so they can text me. Now Fi's trying to teach me the Instagram and the Snapchat....and what the fuck is the purpose of Pinterest? Sorry Stephanie..." he laughs "I'm not a dufus, just a Luddite."


Stephanie giggles "Well they have good recipes...and you can "pin them"." She does hand quotes in the air and slides into one of the chairs at John's table. John still looks confused.


Michael laughs. "I love those kids." he strokes his chin. "Yea, actually I don't go into most of those things." he looks at Steph. "My brother is from another age .... Won't be happy until they bring back papyrus." he grins at Steph. "John's thing is gardening ... which he had foisted on him when our father retired and took up gardening. I think. That or Dad just hates him more than me."


John shrugs "It's relaxing. The world would be a better place if it slowed the fuck down." He looks at Stephanie and thumb points at Michael "Fancy pants here doesn't like to get his pretty hands dirty. Don't take him camping either. He's allergic to nature."

Stephanie nods "He has a smaller tolerance than some. But to his credit we started dating on a nature getaway and he's survived to tell the tale." She looks towards the counter and adds "I'm going to go order a coffee. Micheal can I order one for you? And it looks like they have muffins."


Michael nods when Stephanie points out how they started dating. "See. What she said." he is pleased with her defense. "Please, Steph. Banana nut if they have it and anything if they don't."

Steph moves past Michael as she gets up and gives him a little peck on the cheek "Sure I'll see what they have." She steps away and heads to the counter and starts peering in and chatting pleasantly with the clerk.

John watches Stephanie for a moment and turns a scrutinizing gaze on his brother "This one seems different for you, more real. Am I reading that right?" He takes another slow minty sip as he waits for the reply.

Michael stares at his brother, shocked for a second, and then recovers. "Yea ... she ... she's a lot different for me than Sara was, so ... yea ... it's ... it . IS more ... REAL ..." he stammers a little bit. He hadn't realized it would be visible and he wonders ... his brother was not his father.


John looks very curious now "Don't get me wrong, Sara was nice. But it always looked a bit colder between you. Mikey, you Ok? I wasn't trying to put you on the spot."

Stephanie is still chatting with the clerk when the clerk trips as she pours their coffees. The pot goes flying and shatters. The coffee spreads out across the floor and Stephanie sidesteps it as it comes for her feet. The clerk is mortified and Stephanie appears to be reassuring her and trying to joke about it. Clearly there will be a delay in her purchase though.

Michael's mind races. He looks cornered for a minute. When the coffee pot shatters, he jumps and then looks at his brother. "I ... didn't know we looked .. cold ..." he sighs and rubs at his temple. "Sara was my best friend. She still is, John..." but obviously there is something more.

John muses "You were a bit of a late bloomer with girls I always thought. But if there's something you want to talk about..." He looks towards the counter and Stephanie now casually still talking to a now mopping clerk as a new pot brews "we might have a few minutes... No pressure." He gives his brother a welcoming smile.


Michael swallows hard, looking at his brother. "Alright ...." it is almost as if he is talking to himself. Steeling himself. "John ...." he licks his lips. "Stephanie is the first woman I've ever loved." he begins, but that doesn't seem to convey his truth ... the secrets hes kept from his family ... especially their father. "The first woman I ever had sex with." he looks at his brother anxiously, remembering how obvious their father's hatred of homosexuals was as he was growing up. Michael drops his head into one huge hand.


John chuckles and leans over, putting a hand on Michael's shoulder saying kindly "I kinda figured something like that. You say first woman...so ....men?" He takes his hand back but looks compassionate "I'm not our father Mikey. It's Ok...."

Michael nods. "Sara ... was covering for me. My beard. For someone I ... loved." he clears his throat and his shoulders slump. "Yea. Men. Stephanie was ... a surprise. I liked her .. asked her to be my beard and ..." he looks up. "Next thing I knew I was in love..." he sounds a little stunned. Then he sighs. "I guess that makes me bi. No idea, really. She's the only woman I was ever attracted to that way." he blows out a breath. "You understand why I had to go to such lengths? I mean ... Dad didn't think Hitler got enough gays in the damn showers." he growls. Much of his problems with his father were more than simple personality.


John sighs "I get it. I've had to do a lot of deconstruction of Dad's ideas in my own head to... but nothing like you I'm sure." He looks up now as Stephanie is gathering up coffees and muffins "She seems awesome. Does she know?"

Stephanie looked over a few times and Michael talking to his brother and noticed the intensity of the conversation and their body language. She went to the cream and sugar and fixed their coffees, knowing well what Michael liked by now too. Looking a little hesitant and mildly concerned, she turned to walk back, hoping all was well.


Michael snorts a derisive laugh and actually wipes away a tear of relief as Stephanie returns to them. "Yea. Dad is ... yea ... he isn't thrilled with me to begin with, but knowing I've been with men ... he'd ,..." he scoffs and looks up at Steph. "She IS awesome. I was honest with her .. during that camping weekend we got together." he suddenly looks at her. "Why did you kiss me again?" he looks at John. "We were all sharing a cabin and I'd crashed early .. and Steph comes in and is leaning over me and ..." it dawns on me. "Oh ... I kissed HER .... but . why were you even THERE, Steph? Leaning over me like some kind of serial killer." he'd never known that.


Stephanie catches the tail end of their conversation before Michael includes her directly. She smiles at them both, looking relieved and then laughs "Well I was planning to prank you, not murder you, and there was an awful lot of wine fuelling me. I suspected you kissed me dreaming of someone else but I wasn't going to complain." 

Michael arches his brows. "Prank me? Seriously? How?" he wonders, amused. "Well .. I had Harley .." he glances at John. "He and I ... the only one I ever loved before Steph.." he explains. "I had Harley on my mind, but I didn't stop right away when I realized it was you... I .. guess the body knows." he speculates, taking his coffee in one hand and reaching for her hand with the other.

John smiles at them "Well I never met Harley. But I like this one." He winks at Steph.

Stephanie takes Michael's hand "Thanks John. We thought we might put makeup on you. I got a bit of lipstick on you but you kissed it off. Like I said... Lots of cheap wine." She laughs,

Michael smiles softly, but says nothing. Then he looks at Steph. "Ah ... the lips want what they want." he winks at her and looks at John. "How are the kids?" he pauses. "And by the way, you think you got room for one or maybe two more at your Christmas with the kids?" he was thinking maybe Tristan ... maybe.

Stephanie smiles a little at his lips want comment AND the suggestion of Christmas plans. She stays quiet and sips her coffee now and digs into her muffin. she had managed to procure 2 banana nut muffins.

John sighed "Oh my kids......they'll be the death of me Mike, especially Fi. She's dyed her gorgeous red hair black with purple streaks and pierced half her face. It's like a pin cushion threw up on my daughter. Maybe she's turning into some sort of mutant porcupine. Colleen signed for all the piercings even...."try to stay in touch" she says....yes bring Stephanie and whoever you want for Christmas. You got kids Steph?"

Stephanie smiles and holds up one finger "One boy, Tristan, loves Minecraft and superheroes. He's 10."

John relaxes a bit "He and Seamus will get on like a house on fire. Seamus's got a YouTube channel now to show what he does in that Minecraft. Bunch of blocks if you ask me...but the kids like it. Seamus 13, nothing stuck in his face yet. Logan's 18, Fiona's 15 and Owen's 14."


Michael rips at his muffin as John updates him on his nephews and niece. He chuckles around a mouthful of muffin, but swallows it. "Colleen did that? Seriously?" he shakes his head. "Fiona is MY Colleen." he grins. "I used to babysit them all ... which is why you'll note the Irish TRIPLETS in the family." he teases his brother about how close his youngest three are.

John snarls "Well maybe you can talk some sense into her then Uncle Mikey. Stephanie here knew when to quit eh?" He teases "I couldn't even walk by my wife in the bathroom without knocking her up so you kids be careful now." He's kidding and looking between them both.

Stephanie laughs to cover a moment of panic. The clinics was the very next stop indeed "Well that's impressive John. But you and...Colleen is it? Are you still?"

John's smile falters for a moment "They don't all last. We split...she decided really. I'd have kept her if she'd let me."

Michael grins a bit. "Right. Talk sense into YOUR daughter?" he sounds like it might not be possible. He bites his lip at the mention of Reinhardt fertility. He looks at his brother and he sighs, then claps him on the shoulder. "At least you're not a GRANDfather?" he encourages, although hopefully. He really needs to talk to his brother more.


A vein pulses in John's temple and he gives Michael a look "So far, I don't think so. But they can move in with you if that changes." He grins sarcastically and then looks at Steph "Duct tape your boy to a kitchen chair when he turns 13. Trust me."

Stepanie shakes her head at Michael "You're stressing him out." She smiles at John "I think ti will be OK, but thanks."

John snorts and then asks casually "So what are you guys in town for anyway? I mean I'm not that pretty..."

Michael snorts. "Just remember, you can't just shoot the guy looking at Fi funny and as far as the boys ..." he shakes. "Lets just hope they aren't as fertile as you are. I don't have any kids and I'm thirty." he offers hopefully as if he had not just confessed to being with a single woman in those thirty years. He looks at Stephanie and shrugs. "Revenge?" he offers for excuse. At John's question, he arches his brows. "How often do I have anyone in my life I am willing to introduce to my family?" he evades. He isnt sure how his brother would react to the appointment they have, although he might be fine with the idea of birth control.

John smirks "Yeah alright. You could have let your lady sleep in though. He's a big brat your boyfriend. Do you have siblings Steph?"

Stephanie gives Michael's hand a squeeze "I don't like them TOO obedient...no challenge in it. And yeah I have two brothers, one older, Garrett and one, who's Mike's cop partner Ryan who's as much younger almost as Mike is to you."

Michael smiles. "I'll do that next time." although they hadn't gotten too much sleep, but they had gotten SOME before a nice waking up. "And I am not a brat. YOU are the brat. I'm the one who ruined your perfect life of only childness." he rolls his eyes. He grins. "Yea ... but Ryan's big brother taught him explosives. Mine taught me self-defense, wrestling, lying and blackmail. No wonder I'm a cop." he squeezes Steph's hand.

Steph just grins and drinks her coffee.

John smirks "See? All life skills. So Christmas.....you know I'll cook for whoever shows up. Mom and Dad are going to Hawaii so that's two less mouths and a hell of a lot less pressure around the table, as far as Dad's concerned. Stephanie, you game for a house full of teenagers and their friends with your boy? We're VERY informal and we do it on the 23rd because Colleen gets the crew on Christmas eve. We eat in the living room while watching our usual marathon of Home Alone, Elf and Christmas Story. We play that gift stealing game so we all only have to buy one present."

Michael laughs and relaxes. "Hawaii is excellent!" he looks at Steph. "I would love for you to meet my Mom .... not Dad .... I love you. I can't do that to you." he grins at the description of Christmas. "It's a lot of fun when Dad isn't around. And gives my cheap ass brother yet another excuse to not get me a birthday present." he looks mock crushed.

Stephanie sits up and leans in a bit "We can come on the 23rd for sure. then I can still be Santa for Tristan. Maybe warn your kids he's still a believer John?" She smiles at Michael "I would be happy to meet your mom and I can even be polite to your dad for such an occasion. Unless he hates Japanese people or something too."

John snickers "Well you all came to our country to steal our jobs right?" He winks at Steph so she knows he doesn't mean it. He gives Michael a little shove "What could I possibly get for the man who has everything? You got the girl...mom likes you best. You've still got all your hair." He tugs his hat lower on his forehead that he always wears to cover his bald spot.


Michael smiles, content. "At least we aren't in California or anywhere? Then it would be all the Mexican immigrants stealing jobs no one wants anyway." he runs his fingers through his hair. "I may have the hair, but YOU gave Mom the grand kids to spoil ... one of whom happens to be a GIRL ... " he smirks. "And one of us should keep our hair, so it may as well be me." he agrees. "So, what do you and the kids want for Christmas?" he asks. "Now that the kids have you with the rest of us in the 21st century, do you have an Amazon Wish List for me ... like they all do?"


John scoffs "Amazon....god help us. You know what? Get em books made of paper and ink. Damn kids need to unplug. "

Stephanie laughs "I hear you John, maybe not quite as much of a Luddite myself though. Tristan will read comics and graphic novels though so we still have a paper connection."

Michael grins at his brother. "Consider it done. Now I just have to think WHICH book. Or maybe a gift card and you guys can take a family trip to McNally." he teases.

Stephanie beams "Oh I love McNally. They make a mean London Fog in their cafe too."

John nods, grinning "Maybe you should get this one a card for there too. Payment for waking her up so damned early to meet your brother." He jokes.

Michael grins as he sips his coffee. "I just might do that." he tells his brother. "Somehow I will make up for waking her up this morning." he sips again to hide a smirk.

Stephanie tries not to react to Michael but chokes a little on her next sip of coffee.

John rolls his eyes "Jesus get a room kids...oh wait, you did." He laughs.

Michael shrugs and sips. "Yea. We did." he looks at his brother. "And, of course, you aren't dating anyone." it's pretty much a statement of fact. He thinks his brother might be waiting for Colleen to hit menopause of something. "Work, work, work." he can't really talk. Before Stephanie the vast majority of his time was work and overtime.

John tilts his head and looks into his coffee cup and then faces the statement with a joke "What woman could love this face Mikey? I'm performing a service to the community." He winks at Stephanie and then stands "I'm going for a refill. Either of you want one?" He hesitates.

Stephanie shakes her head, smiling kindly at John. Clearly his avoidance of romance is not a joke and she feels a little sad for him. "I'm good, thanks."

Michael sighs softly. Where a joke may have been tossed right back he's silent. "Nah .. no thanks, bro." as his brother walks away, he moves to take Steph's hand.

John nods and walks away, getting in the short line that's formed at the counter.

Stephanie wraps her fingers around Michael's and looks after John with concern "Ok, so what's his deal?" she asks quietly.

Michael sighs almost explosively. "He loves Colleen." he replies. "And Colleen loves him. But ... " he shrugs. "She was afraid she'd wind up with a dozen kids and left. After Fiona, Owen and Seamus ... They're like 30 months apart ... They still get along like crazy, but she won't even be in the same building with him. He's ... fertile." he strokes his chin, thoughtfully. "Neither one of them dates, really."

Stephanie muses on this and then says sheepishly "I know this is a little pot kettle right now considering where we're off to after, but they could just use...birth control...casual or permanent."

John has just reached the front of the line and is waiting for his refill.


Michael chuckles softly. "Maybe. I mean we're Catholic ... so maybe that's part of it. I honestly don't know why he just didn't have a vasectomy and have done." he looks at her. "Tristan is ten ... do you think you .. would ever even WANT another?" he muses.

Stephanie can't help but laugh at the timing of his question and gestures in the air with her pointer finger "Well clearly not right now." She exhales and then shrugs a bit "But otherwise....I don't know." She doesn't add more because John comes back and plunks down. His refill is in a takeout cup.

"Did I miss anything? Or were you just talking dirty at each other while you had a few minutes?" He teases. "I need to get to work soon but I've got about 5 minutes."

Michael just nods at her reply. John plunks down and he looks at him. "Sweet, darling innocent me? Talk DIRTY? No way." he claps his brother on the arm. "You know one of the best things about Stephanie? She's sort of taught me what it's like to have a close family. So .. lets not ... you know ... be how we tend to be with each other. Yes, that means you'll see me more than a few times a year."

Stephanie smiles and sips the last of her coffee, watching the brothers.

John gives Michael a crinkly eyed grin "That'd be alright with me Mikey, and the kid of course."

Michael smiles. "Naturally." he pauses. "Take care, bro." he knows his brother needs to get going.

John claps Michael back on his own shoulder as he stands and then says to Stephanie "Keep him out of trouble eh?"

Stephanie giggles and stands up and then hugs John unexpectedly "No guarantees there. It was nice to meet you John."

John freezes at first and then hugs her back, chuckling to Michael "OK I definitely like this one best."




No comments:

Post a Comment