Sunday, October 9, 2016

Mariner's Role Play October 1st, 2016

*This post comes directly after and in many ways in reaction to the writings in the Small Town Scribbler, a local tabloid:

http://ccharactercafe.blogspot.ca/2016/09/small-town-scribbles-volume-2034.html



Sam walks into the hotel pub and stands in front of the menu, examining it carefully.

Ryuko Shujinko: Ryuko seems to be absorbed with his laptop. Busily typing away, reading scowling and repeating.

Sam nods to himself. "The Pacific Salmon with rice pilaf, please." he orders, pushing his glasses up his nose as he looks at the young woman behind the bar.

Ryuko Shujinko: Oh, the salmon is real good now, perfect season for it.
Ryuko Shujinko: Ryuko looks up, smiles, and then back to his computer.

Sam blinks and turns around. "Are you talking to me?" he asks and moves to a bar stool. "Oh .. and an orange soda."

Ryuko Shujinko: Oh, yes, sorry. Did not mean to interrupt. Have a great meal. Ryuko looks buzzed but soon is back th the comp.

Sam seats himself and looks over his shoulder at the man at the computer. "You ... didn't interrupt." he frowns, looking mildly confused.

Muishitsu Monshin: Peeks into the pub at the Mariners in and seeing it didn't look too busy decides to stop in and see what migh be on the menu.
Muishitsu Monshin: Makes his way to the counter to read the menu. He notices a few customers and nods politely not wanting to intrude.

Ryuko Shujinko: Ryuko looks up and sees another person enter, and smiles and says Hello.

Sam sees another man enter and takes in the ... kimono ...

Muishitsu Monshin: Turns toward the others. He sees a young man on a computer looking at him..smiles and greets him. Namaste Hello

Sam smiles as his pop arrives. "Thank you."

Ryuko Shujinko: ?Namaste? Ryuko looks confused for a moment, but then smiles, You must be Monshin san? Oshi said she had met you?

Muishitsu Monshin: Smiles yes I remember her from the grocery store I am Muishitsu Monshin. I've come to Cedar Point to discover what I might learn about my great grandfather Ning Hai Chen. He was one of the first council members in the early days. It's nice to meet you.

Sam watches the two people talk, mildly curious as he sips his pop, quickly turning his attention away, so he isn't staring.

Ryuko Shujinko: Oh, yeah sorry I did not introduce myself He smacks his forehead with his palm. So sorry, I am Ryuko Shujinko. Honored to meet you.

Muishitsu Monshin: Bows the Namaste bow a second time while a quiet smile plays across his face. Just then he hears something outside and turns nervously to look out the window. Turning back... Nice to meet you Ryuko Shuijinko saying the name to remember it.....

Sam smiles as the waitress comes out and puts in front of him .... steak! "No, I can't eat this. I'm a pescatarian .. I ordered the salmon." the bamaid apologizes profusely, takes his plate and goes back into the kitchen.

Ryuko Shujinko: Please, Ryuko, is just fine. He smiles and say, you are welcome to join me, if you wish?

Muishitsu Monshin: Seeing there is a waitress on hand to take his order, He thanks Ryuko and moves to join him t the table.

Sam drinks a bit more soda and drums his fingers on the bar.

Ryuko Shujinko: Ryuko shuts down his computer and sets it aside. You have come far. I hope you are successful with your quest. It is an honorable one.

Mitch Newmore: Mitch walks in to pub in The Mariner, it's been awhile. Man, what a busy year. He smiles at the bartender...and tries to think of her name. "Hi Mitch," she says. He smiles again and nods, and takes a seat at the bar. Draft, he says.

Muishitsu Monshin: Pleasently surprized that the youn man removed his computer to talk Muishitsu replies.. Thank you very much Ryuko. The journey has been a long one, but I'm sure I will feel at home here very soon. And, I think I can offer a few interesting things that Cedar Point may not yet have experienced.

Sam glances as another man walks in, then away.

Ryuko Shujinko: A man with many years and lots of experiences would be a welcome addition here. I am sure your stories alone would be enjoyed by all.

Mitch Newmore: can i get a burger, Deidre?" he remembers. "Of course, Mitch. The usual?" "Yes, please" Mitch looks around at the others in the bar, he takes one sip of beer and pushes the glass away slightly. He smiles at the man down the bar.

Muishitsu Monshin: Turns to acknowledge the newcomer with a nod and a smile and then back to Ryuko with a quiet chuckle. Thank you very much I'm not sure how many stories people might wish to endure, but I do have a few. I also hope to provide Reiki healing to the residents here when I get fully settled in.

Sam smiles nervously back and looks at his smart phone, as if expecting something.

Mitch nods to the men at the table as he lifts his glass slightly in their direction. He place the beer glass back on the bar, without sipping. He looks around a bit. Nothing's changed. Deidre even remembered how he likes his burger. His ear catches the word Reiki from the men at the table., He tries to listen a bit, without being obvious.

Sam waits and the waitress comes out again with the right order this time.  He smiles.  "Thank you."  he picks up a fork and digs into his salmon.

Muishitsu Monshin: So? Ryuko, were you born here in Cedar Point? Do you work here? then trying to be casual. Muishitsu looks around the room with a slight nod to each door as though assessing his surroundings and memorizing the entries and exits..

Ryuko Shujinko: No I come from Japan, and have been studying in Toronto until recently. So I take on odd engineering jobs online, for now.  A healer as well, It would be quite useful hear, after the earthquake we had, there are still those with wounds of the body and soul, that could use much healing...

Usually Mitch knows someone in here. Usually? Well, it hasn't been a usual stop for some time. Deidre is the only one he knows here and he hates to ask her about the local news or gossip in front of folks he doesn't know. "How's you love life, Deidre?" he says with a smile. Deidre snorts through her laughter. "Love life? Right. I'm always here. I have no life - love or otherwise" Mitch chuckles. hands folded. He catches the scent of his burger from the kitchen.

Sam hears the world 'healing' and half glances over his shoulder, picking up lemon and seasoning his fish.

Muishitsu Monshin nods solemnly, Yes I heard only a little news about your earthquake. I understand there may still be some missing? It is a terrible thing. I can certainly be available to help if any would desire it. Are you familiar with Reiki healing?

Ryuko Shujinko: I had some friends back in Japan that told me about it. Fascinating ANd I have seen real results too.

Mitch Newmore: "How's the salmon?" Mitch says to the man at the other end of the bar. I went with the burger but they do the salmon nice here. Just right." Mitch nods at Deidre, she smiles.

Sam 's eyes widen when he overhears the word earthquake, but doesn't say anything, of course.  He keeps his eyes on his plate.  Then he looks over at the man.  "Actually it's very nice.  You never know with hotel food, you know?"

 Mitch nods to the man eating salmon. "Yeah. I used to travel a lot, for a couple years. Work. Lots of hotels. Some great meals. But some awful wants. And a lot of mediocre ones." he laughs. "Oh, he comes my burger"

Muishitsu Monshin: Glances casually at the two at the bar and the waitress. Muishitsu raises his hand and makes eye contact briefly with the waitress. Then back to Ryuko. Your work sounds very interesting and challenging I'm happy to hear your experience with Reiki has been a helpful one.

Sam nods.  "Too true.  And I'm a bit of a pain in the butt ... not like vegans can be but I've had a couple restaurants in a couple hotels get annoyed at my many questions."  he chuckles

 Ryuko Shujinko: Indeed it was. Probably I should let her just do this, but I think Oshi is still having problems with her leg from the quake. Perhaps you could talk to her about it?

Mitch Newmore: Laughs at the salmon man's comment. "Yeah, i was just out of school when I was in all those hotels. Too shy to ask anything. I just ate what they gave me. Even if I didn't know what it was. Or how to eat it properly." he smiles and picked up his burger for the first bite.

Sam chuckles.  "Well, I am a pescetarian so ....  I have to ask certain questions, yanno?"

Muishitsu Monshin: Turns his attention to the waitress as she arrives at the table. Thank you miss. I am a vegan and wonder if you could have the cook make a simple salad for me with whatever veggies are in season at this time? The waitress writes his order and moves back toward the kitchen. Turning back to Ryuko.. Yes, yes, I will speak with her about it. I saw her earlier this evening but she was sitting so I didn't notice anything in her walk. If I can help I'd be happy to.

Anna Wright walks in looking annoyed and has a small collapse in the stool beside Mitch as she says "Gin and tonic...actually two please...with lime...."

"The  problem is - " Mitch glances a Deidre - "a lot of times the waiter or waitress doesn't really know what's in the food. But they answer your question as if they do. Like, who expects peanut butter in their chili, right?" Mitch wasn't sure chili was a good example for the salmon man.

 Ryuko Shujinko: That would be an honor. But if you would, try not to mention I ask you, He smiles, and says, Se tells me I worry too much about it.

Sam nods.  "Exactly.  Fortunately for me I'm not allergic, it's just a preference, ya know."  he looks at the woman who ordered two drinks with a raised eyebrow.

Anna Wright smiles weakly at Mitch and tosses back half a GT before saying "Have you read that stupid Scribbler thing? I apparently work in a brothel....."

Muishitsu Monshin: nods and smiles "Discretion is very important to me. I'll discreetly notice her gait and if the right moment occurs I'll offer it to her." Hearing another newcomer he turns and nods briefly at the woman at the bar.

Ryuko Shujinko: Of course, I was the one who had to carry her about, afterwards, or was that assist? I was happy to do it though. So no problems on my end.

Muishitsu Monshin: arches a brow hearing yet another mention of a brothel in town. Then to Ryuko, Please tell me more about your work. Engineering is an interesting occupation I would think.


Mitch nods at the man's comment. He hears someone walk in the door and glances to his left just as she speaks. "Anna!. I haven't seen you since...July? I've been working so much! How've you been? And, no. I didn't hear about your new job" he teases her though his not sure if that's a good idea. He looks at Dirdre with a, "Am I in trouble look?" and a slight smile

Sam arches a brow and looks over at the woman who works in a brothel, curious.

Ryuko Shujinko: Well I am into cryogenic quantum physics, studying 'bucky balls' tubular graphine and stuff like that low and high temperature lubricants.

Anna Wright smiles awkwardly at the other patrons she didn't know who seemed to be staring or smiling at her. she gave Ryuko a little wave, knowing him as Oshi's math pal. She passes Mitch her phone after clicking open her web browser "Here....this is the deal. Some gossip column.But just to be clear, I'm going to get pissed so all my whoring goes well...since I'm all about illicit activities." Her tone is entirely sarcastic and she grins a bit and moves on to G&T number 2.

Muishitsu Monshin: Looks up as the waitress Dirdre approaches with his salad and the house dressing on the side. Thank you miss. then looking to Ryuko... Still I'm sure its interesting. Back in China I served as a gardener and for a time a Rickshaw driver... My early years I.... suddenly looks uncomfortable and trails off not finishing his sentence...

Sam arches a brow and listens, curiously.  He can recognize sarcasm, but isn't saying anything just yet.

Ryuko Shujinko: There is great honor and dignity to do any job that does not require you to do wrong. Work is a blessing. Sad not many know this well. Ryuko waves back to Anna, a slight look of concern on his face.

Mitch Newmore: "Wow," Mitch says to Anna. "Where do they get this - " he looks around and lowers his voice, "shhit?" Deidre jumps slightly at the word. She's heard it, all day, but from Mitch? in public? "How can the publish that?" Mitch keeps looking at the screen on Anna's iPhone and asking "How?" questions, one after another. He's pissed off on behalf of his friend. She seems to be taking it much better than he.

Sam arches his brow.  "I'd be curious about that as well...."  he looks down the bar.  "Is it a tabloid or something?"

Muishitsu Monshin: Yes, Yes that's very true. Sometimes honor and wisdom come through experience and if one strays from the path of honor but later returns to it, then all is well again. Looks down at his salad and begins to eat slowly seeming to be lost in thought.. then, shaking himself back to the present .. he glances out the window again before returning to his plate to eat...

 Anna Wright rolls her eyes and laughs "I suppose it's a compliment. I mean we wouldn't have weird rumours if we weren't well known...but geez seriously. I'm tempted to rename all the breakfast specials just to see who's read this crap. Deidre, another G&T please." She shakes her head around "Sorry Mitch....hi...how are you?" She laughs at herself and gives the stranger down at the other end of the bar a nod since he's in her line of sight "Dunno, right out of left field."

Mitch Newmore: "Oh I've been busy. Working a lot. Remember that movie I was playing for, the soundtrack? Finished that in late July. Waled right into another film gig. That same recording studio threw me a couple of TV commercial sessions too. Big money but no time to spend it!" he laughs. "And working days...it's just weird. Not used to it at all and I don't think I ever would be." He smiles and munches on his burger

Sam nods, slowly.  "I don't mean to be nosy, of course."  he pushes his glasses up his nose.  "I mean the title .. Scribbler ... sounds ... like a tabloid."

Anna Wright nods after a big sip "It is. I mean the stuff about our sister city is kinda true but she's way off base about us.....Rita Potter!" She sighs and looks at Mitch "That's awesome news. " She glances back down the bar "Sorry, manners. I'm Anna and not remotely a brothel employee." she jokes.

Sam 's eyes widen and he nods.  "I know her.  Well not KNOW her but know OF her.  She's slick.  Knows how to tow the law."  he smiles.  "Hi.  I'm Sam.  Sam March."  he pulls out his wallet and a couple of business cards moving quickly down to hand them to Mitch and Anna.  The card says he is a civil attorney in Vancouver.

Ryuko looks over at Anna, and when he catches her attention, he will say, Oshi is quite upset about it too. What they said about Tatsu was ridiculous and totally unacceptable. We feel you pain.

Mitch is halfway through his burger but now takes only his second sip of that beer. "Could I get some water, Deidre?" "Sure, Mitch," she says and pours a glass of water. "Thank you." Mitch takes a business card from the man called Sam and nods a thank you. To Anna, "How's the fam? I'm so out of touch. I haven' talked to Anybody in weeks."

Muishitsu Monshin: Well Ryuko, I am honored to have met you. I'm sure I'll see you around. I take a walk several times a day to orient myself to my new home. I hope to see you again soon. He stands and makes his way to the door..then pauses, turns and Bows before leaving. "Namaste everyone."

Anna Wright takes the card, nodding to the man who's leaving and looks at it. She turns the card over thoughtfully as she answers Mitch "Well it's been kinda....meh with my family. We had a service for my brother finally." She gives Ryuko a kind smile and then looks past him to Sam "Have you taken this Potter lady to court before?"

Mitch nods good night to the gentleman from the table. He puts the lawyer's card in his wallet. He listens to Anna and Sam discuss the reporter. "I read about the funeral." he looks at Anna and shakes his head, and eats the burger. 

Sam March nods and moves back to his seat, pushing his glasses up his nose again.  He digs into his meal again, going around the plate in a nice precise way.  He looks down the bar and swallows, then sighs.  "Fraid I have."  he replies.  "Several years ago.  See ... she uses information that is publicly gotten... in other words, overheard.  So there is no expectation of privacy.  Or she BUYS info."  he sighs.  "Perfectly legal.  She's just not as popular as TMZ for example."

Anna Wright starts on her new drink, trying to swirl the lime around with the straw. Her acuity is a little off and she catapults the lime in Mitch's direction as she listens to Sam "Oh shit...sorry!"

Mitch nods good night to the gentleman from the table. He puts the lawyer's card in his wallet. He listens to Anna and Sam discuss the reporter. "I read about the funeral." he looks at Anna and shakes his head, and eats the burger.

Ryuko Shujinko: Well of course anyone can write whatever they think they heard, or make up. It is the way things go. But it still sucks when someone can do these things, and not even have the decency to try ad get things right.

Mitch sips his water as the beer, still three quarters full sits there. Deidre watches him, smiling. "Did you complain to the editor, Anna? I don't know if that does any good really..but you might want to at least be on the record, as objecting"

Sam March pulls his smart phone out again and starts to thumb type.  "I haven't checked her page out for a long time .. let's see here ...."  he scans.  "Ok .... see ... this might be something ... I mean for Miss Beal, is it?"  he looks at it.  "Depends ...."  he pushes his glasses up again.  "I mean like ... lets say .. and I'm not, by the way, ... if I were angry with you and called you 'the whore that works at the B&B' .... she could actually write this and make it legal." he keeps reading.

Ryuko Shujinko: Well in Japan, it is legal to say stuff like that, but you would become a permanent pariah if you did.

Mitch watches Anna's lime fly toward him. It lands next to his plate. He smiles as he waits for her answer about the editor.

Anna Wright nods along with Sam "Yeah...kinda with you. And it's Wright actually but Tallulah Beal is my mother. this Potter woman is quite the pariah in my books." she forgets the lime flipped and starts looking for it in the drink "Deidre, did you give me a lime? Maybe I ate it......can I just get like a bowl of them and another G&T......" She's just starting to slur ever so slightly "I like limes....they're so green right?"

Sam nods. "Yes, sir. But this isn't Japan." he pushes his glasses up his nose again. "She had to have gotten the rest of the article wrong because any child in the military in Japan would cause the Japanese to come under scrutiny by the United Nations ... so it has to be bogus. If it's not ... " he shrugs his thin shoulders. "Well .... is someone mad at your mother?" he asks and again pushes his glasses up. "It sounds . if you'll forgive me .. like sour grapes." he raises his brows as the woman becomes inebriated.

Ryuko Shujinko: Well fortunately Tatsu has not heard this, yet. But I would not put it past her to find out some way. That is sad. truly sad. She is sacrificing a lot, for what she sees purpose and good in. She should not have to deal with that vile stuff.

Mitch watches Deidre deliver a salad bowl, full of limes. "Do you mind?" he says to Anna as he half reaches toward the bowl. He hears mention of Tatsu and looks to the man from the table who is now to his riught at the bar. Mitch takes a lime and squeezes it over his beer. He catches Anna looking at him. "My brother Rich does it. I guess it's not necessary if it's a good beer. What do I know?" he takes a sip of the beer and wipes his lips with his fingers

Anna Wright slaps the bar beside Mitch's beer "You fuckin stole my lime!" She starts giggling now and has trouble stopping and then sees the bowl like she's forgotten she ordered them "Oooh...." She starts slowly squeezing one in her drink "It's not easy being green..." she sings and then says "Did you guys ever take issue with the whole frog pig mating thing. I mean like Kermit and Piggie. What's gonna come out of that deal right?"
 Sam March looks mildly interested, but only finishes his meal.  "Coffee, please."  he orders from the waitress.  He looks at his phone again and sighs, then looks at Anna again, a bit concerned.

Ryuko Shujinko: Anna I am OK with it, unless they insist in using My Bathroom! 

Mitch Newmore: "I did steal it," Mitch smiles mischievously at Anna. It is nice in the beer. I never tried it. I don't drink enough beer to experiment with it. It's...just beer." He takes a bit of burger and looks around, listening to the convo about the reporter. "I never thought about that Miss Piggy thing. Always liked Kermit though"

Anna Wright takes the lime out of the drink and sucks the gin out, her eyes going wide at the burst of sour for a moment "Pleh pleh pleh pleh!" She says as she drops it from her mouth back into her drink. "I had a friend in high school who had this weird crush on Miss Piggy. I'm seriously not joking. " she holds out another lime to Mitch in offering but it's a little forceful almost.

Sam March chuckles.  "Well, at least having my car in the garage is interesting for a change."  he grins.  "Is the mechanic any good, do you know?  Seems slow to me."  he watches the woman foist another lime on Mitch.

Ryuko Shujinko: Well, I should check up on Oshi, before it gets too late. SO I sould pack it up here. Nice to meet you Sam, and to see you Mich and Anna again. As always the food's great here,Deidre. He stands tale a short bow and after setting the bill, departs.

Mitch has finished his burger and Deidre has cleared his plate. She refills his water glass. "Thank you, Deidre." The beer with the floating lime, is still half full. As Mitch takes a sip of water, a lime hits him in the chest. He looks down, at Deidre, then at Anna, trying to suppress a burst of laughter. "I hope you're not driving anywhere," he says quietly, with a smile but seriously. He stares at Anna to let her know he is serious. They make eye contact. He raises his eyebrows at her, waiting for reassurance. He nods to the man leaving but doesn't take his stare off Anna.

Anna Wright meets Mitch's gaze and giggles before swatting at his chest like she's trying to swipe or wipe the lime off him. She ends up kind of tapping him in the end "Mish shure really cute shand you can walk me to the whorehouse...not like tha...cause you have a girlfriends shan she's really nisce....." She looks down the bar to the end "Maybe shour mechanic shust neesome limes..."

Sam March nods to the man.  "A pleasure."  he looks at Anna, also concerned.  He grins a bit.  "Oh, I doubt that.  I'm only having a headlight replaces. I got a ticket because it was out.  The cop suggested I get it replaced right away and since there was a garage right there ..."  he shrugs and pushes his glasses up his nose again.

Mitch hears Anna's slurred speech. He smiles at her words. "I'll walk you home, Anna. I'm glad you asked. What time is it?" "Ten, says Deidre, just past." Mitch nods. "I gotta meet Patty in Surrey in a couple hours, when he gig wraps up. So, maybe that is your last one?"

Anna Wright holds up her drink like it's a dramatic farewell "OK...Oh gin...shure my talking juice." Then absently she looks around and then at the two men and says in a conspiratorial whisper " The mechanic shis fine...but there is one cop who's a bit of a dick. No limes for him. Do you ever wonder if you can come back from the dark shide...you shknow...like Star Warsh?"

Sam March doesn't hide his amusement very well.  "I mus have got the dick cop."he assumes.  "I probably can .. once my new headlight is installed."  his phone vibrates and he looks at it. "About time."  he stands.  "Check please."

Mitch Newmore: "Star Wash?' Mitch looks at Anna, teasing his friend. "I gotta take my car to the "Star Wash" soon. He nods at the man who gets up to leave, with a "She'll be fine, I'll be sure of it" attitude. He sips the beer with the lime.

Anna Wright points at Mitch "Star Lord! Chrish Pratt's so fucking cute...."she burst out laughing a little too loud.
Anna belatedly waves at Sam "Bye bye Sam." she says while still giddy and then she gets the hiccups.

Sam March pays and smiles at Mitch.  "Glad to hear it.  I don't even know where this bed and breakfast is ...so I couldn't be a proper gentleman and see her home anyway."  he arches his brows and shakes his head.  "Christ Pratt ...."  he heads for the door. "Take care folks." and he's gone.

Mitch Newmore: "Is there some actor you don't find cute?" Mitch teases Anna. He smiles at Deidre. He smiles at Sam's reply. And sips his water again. It'll still be awhile until he can get through that beer.

Anna Wright argues back and then gives Mitch a long and convoluted list of people she doesn't find cute that goes all the way to every 80s comedian she can think of. When it's time to leave she's still silly but agreeable after a few cups of coffee.

Mitch has finally finished his beer. As he takes the last sip, and pays his bill, he turns to Anna, "You ready ?" He smiles at Deidre as he stands and walks Anna toward the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment