Thursday, September 29, 2016

Falcon Island Part 6 - Truth in the Light of Day

Steph wakes up with a pounding headache and a desperately full bladder. She stumbles uncomfortably down the ladder. Anna and Michael still seem to be asleep and she's relieved after last night. She grabs her glasses from the table, fishes in her pack for a bottle of Tylenol and takes two with her water bottle before bolting out the door to the outhouse.


Michael Reinhardt wakes and pulls himself out of bed. He gets out of bed and considers heading got trees for a pee, then the shower rooms to wash his hands and the mess hall/tent/building for a little coffee. He notes that Steph is gone, but doesn't put too much detective work into it, even though he remembers the night before perfectly. Grabbing his shaving kit he begins behind the showers, then moves in the shower building to wash his hands and brush his teeth.


Steph had to sit for awhile. It was a lot of wine last night. Afterwards she almost dozes from her hangover and then sniffs at the air remembering she's in an outhouse and making a face "Ugh..." She finishes up and stumbles outside, her legs feeling heavier than normal. Shaking off the smell as she walks to the shower house to wash her hands she can't help but still be struck by the beauty of this island and the forest beyond the path. Steph pulls open the wash house door and heads for a sink, freezing in mid step as she sees the back of Michael's hulking form already at the other sink. Maybe she could sanitize her hands with pine needles or something? With an exhale she walks up to the other sink and starts washing with a quiet awkward "Mm...morning."


Michael is rinsing his hands when he is joined by Steph. He smiles and lets her see in his mirth that he remembers events perfectly. "Mornin." he dries his hands and zips up his bag. "Feeling up for some coffee and a walk?" he tucks the bag under his arm.

Steph looks sideways at him and blushes deeply "Um yeah ok.....maybe food to carry too. I didn't really eat yesterday and I'm super hungover." She shakes off her hands a bit and fights with the paper towel dispenser. It's completely jammed and she shakes her hands again and then wipes them on her pants like her son Tristan would.

Michael watches her and chuckles. "Food too." he agrees. "I need to drop off my kit here and I can meet you in the ... cafeteria or whatever that is?" he offers. "Then we get some stuff, find a place and ... yea ... talk."

Steph turns with a look of dread and squeaks out "Ok......" If a guy was planning to give her a let down speech she'd really prefer it was quicker than what Mike was suggesting. With a throat clearing she heads for the door "See you in the dining hall then."


Micheal nods and heads back to the cabin to drop off his kit. Once that's done, he jogs to the mess building and pours himself some coffee and talks with the cook about a picnic. The cook grins and packs up a small basket with fruits, cheeses and crackers in it, plus another Thermos of coffee. Hooking it over his arm, he looks at Stephanie, sipping his coffee and looking more awake already. "Ready?"

Stephanie had been sitting at one of the tables nursing a coffee. She had eaten a banana first and it was thankfully sitting well. She watched Michael walk in, get coffee and chat with the cook briefly and then he suddenly turned with a picnic basket. If this was a let down easy, he was sure going to a lot of trouble. With cautious optimism she walked to him and smiled "Alright then..."

Michael looks at her. "Relax." he tells her and heads out, holding the door open for her. Once they are both outside he begins to walk, saying nothing until they hang a left between the outhouse and the showers. "Well ... first of all, I wanted to apologize for India .. at the Memorial? She ... well ... I'll blame it on Motown or wherever it is she got famous." he begins.

Stephanie laughs "I like India. she was just having a bit of fun I think. Don't worry about it." She still looks very curious as to what Mike has in mind. Is this a date? Is this an elaborately polite let down?

Michael chuckles. "Yea ... well ... shes become sort of like a little sister and she seems to think I need to get out and socialize. Apparently getting a cat does not qualify as socialization." he shrugs elaborately. "Whew knew?" he leads them down a path and around to a place with a tent and a hell of a view. "We can sit here, watch the view and talk?" he moves to the edge and sets the basket on a rock with room for the both of them to sit. "India DOES have a point. Since my fiance went missing ... I haven't been a real social butterfly. But I wasn't before either."

Stephanie smiles about the cat and then looks sympathetic "Oh I'm so sorry. I had no idea. When did she....I mean, do you want to talk about it?"

Michael sips more of his coffee and opens the basket with a deep sigh. "Well ... that's sort of why I wanted to talk to you." he looks over at her. "You and I get along, but ... and I am not a stalker, just a trained observer ... I notice you don't date anyone either. At least not in town. I don't either, but I ... ugh ... " he looks a bit uncomfortable. "I don't know how exactly to say this without looking like the worlds largest ass hole. It was easier with Sara .. my ex-wife. Because I DO like you Steph. We always had good, if short conversations, haven't we?" he is really hoping she won't slug and run.

Stephanie looks thoroughly confused now "Uh...yeah...OK...what exactly are you getting at Mike? Kinda mixed signals here....."

Michael scratches his hair, unintentionally looking like the stereotypical dumb jock. "OK .... I hear you don't date and don't necessarily WANT to date ... like me. So I had been thinking before now that I should just ask you out. The whole kiss thing last night .... well I guess that cemented it. So I thought you and I could hang out more regularly. I guess this is just me ... giving full disclosure ... " he nods to himself. "Cause that's only fair, really to tell you since Ryan knows and Anna knows..." at this point he does seem to be talking to himself.

Steph starts to look a little annoyed with this now, feeling under scrutiny "I HAVE dated. It just hasn't gone well for awhile...thank you very much. Not every guy wants a single mom and I've had a lot of rejection. So if this is a not you it's me speech...then fucking out with it already. That was nice last night....very nice..... but I don't have a lot of patience for being jerked around."

Michael arches his brows, but doesn't pull back from the annoyance. "I want to go out with you. That's the thing. I don't care if you have a kid. You're a great lady ... really. I think we probably like the same snarky movies ... some of which aren't kid appropriate. So in that way it ISN'T a its not you its me thing, cause I really DO want to hang out with you. The thing is .... My ex-wife was my beard and my missing fiance vanished in the 2011 Cedar Point earthquake." there .. he blurted it out. "And I like you enough that I don't want to lie to you and hurt you by making you think I want a heterosexual relationship with you. I just ... want your friendship."

Steph's eyes had been narrowed but now they almost popped out of her head and her jaw dropped for about 30 seconds before she found her words "You're gay?! And Oh my god I'm an idiot..." She puts her face in her hands with a moan and then starts laughing "I'm sorry I"m sorry....I'm totally cool with the gay thing....just let me process." she exhales and emerges from her hands "I can kinda guess what you mean by beard but I haven't heard that before. You want me to pretend to date you so you don't have to fully come out? Mike I'm happy to be your friend and even go out with you as friends......but you don't have to hide who you are. That's not right. There's nothing wrong with it." After a moment she frowns and asks "Why the hell did you kiss me? I mean maybe you were dreaming of someone with an Adam's apple but at some point you knew...it was me...."

Michael listens with a slightly embarrassed, sheepish look on his face. "Yes, I want you to pretend there is more to us than incredible movie nights." he chuckles at the rest. "Remember, I said ex-WIFE. My last beard was my best friend ... she and I never had sex but we DID get married to cover my homosexuality. Cause Steph ...." he shakes his head. "Its not always okay. Cedar Point might be OK .. only a few homophobes I've been able to guess at, but ... my family .. my father ... that would go badly. I came close with Harley ... my fiance .. but then he disappeared. Me and Sara got divorced. My father still hasn't forgiven me for that. So yea ... I'm ... I'm hiding ... call me a dinosaur." he sighs, realizing he is rambling. "Anyway, I have never had sex with a woman, but part of my hiding means I've kissed plenty." and then he sighs. "But yes. Harley has been on my mind a lot. I miss him .. what can I say?"

Steph exhales slowly and says seriously "I need to think about this. I'm sorry your family isn't supportive. That more than sucks. Harley was from Cedar Point? Do you mean Harley Bell, the archivist guy? I knew he went missing when Eryn did but because of Tams and Anna, and the fact that Eryn was a friend, I was focused on her. They never found her either. I guess that's just the way with quakes right? I am sorry...for your loss." She blushes a bit and says quietly "I did kind of like the kissing part...."She giggles after "Sorry, not appropriate."

Michael nods. "That's fine. Take as long as you need." then he shrugs, ignoring his family. "Yea. Harley Bell. I was about to come out and move here then .... yea." he sighs. "But that is NOT the way with quakes, really. It's just ... like the Bermuda Triangle weird. But thanks. One minute I'm over it I think and the next I'm binge watching Parks and Recreation." he chuckles. "I like kissing ... what can I say? I guess I'm good at it?"

Steph looks pained as he talks about Harley and then gives a little snarl at his kissing comment "Yeah you are but keep the ego in check buddy." She looks at the basket "Wow you really want to be my fake boyfriend don't you? What's in there? I'm starved. I had wine and marshmallows for dinner. I don't recommend it. By the way, Parks Canada Boy thinks you're cute. He claims to be "homoflexible". Could mean he's both gay and a gymnast in the sack." She teases.

Michael chuckles. "Hey, I am confident. And I love kissing ... even women." he goes into the basket. "We have cheese and crackers and apples...." he brings out a paper plate and a knife. "A very elegant spread." he starts slicing up cheese and making little cracker and cheese sammies, setting them on another plate. He glances up. "Is he, now? Homoflexible pretty much means he's gay, but if a woman is special enough he can make an exception. He's pretty cute but ...." he motions around with the knife hes slicing cheese with. "I can only do so much ... nature ... stuff. Besides ... he took April's ovaries out. Can I date a man who's cut into my pussy?" he deadpans, still cutting the block cheese into slices.

Stephanie laughs heartily now "I'll keep that in mind. You should tell Ziven that one if it ever comes up. I think he'd enjoy it. You know I've never watched Parks and Rec. I tend towards what I can watch with my kid and I'm not sure he's quite there yet. So if you want to talk about the Ninja Turtles or any of the animated Batman shows I'm totally well versed." she smiles "Sad I know." She reaches for a cheese and cracker sandwich, stealing one before he's done arranging.

Micheal chuckles. "I'll tell him at April's next appointment." he grins. "Then you can watch it with me. I DO like the show, but probably never would have watched it if not for Harley." Then he beams. "I love a lot of the Batmans. I'm more a fan of Batman The Animated Series. But I have a bunch of them. Ninja Turtles .. not so much." he watches her steal a cheese and cracker and shakes his head. "Committing a theft in front of a cop. Man ... that's ballsy. More reason to like you. And no I am not the gay guy who goes insane when you destroy my plated presentation." He keeps shaving off cheese.

Steph smirks " Apparently not ballsy enough though. And here I thought you and Anna had a thing. I think her mother might still be prenaming some imagined cherubic red headed grandchildren because she thinks so too. Course you're not nearly suffering poet freak show enough to fit with Anna's usual type."


Michael laughs and picks up an apple. "Well, Anna sort of became an accidental beard. We'd meet and talk and people would look at us like they couldn't figure out if we were related, or dating or what. And ... honestly I never discourage that kind of thinking. Especially when I knew Anna doesn't like me that way ... she deflected a few of the women in town who DO seem interested in dating me ... or maybe banging me is more like it." he quarters and de-seeds the apple as he talks. "I told her while I was investigating Lee .. cause ... I know what its like to have a loved one vanish in one of these damn earthquakes." neatly and cleanly quartered, he cuts them into thinner slices. "I don't mean to talk about Harley so much.' he seems to be apologizing. "Coming to Cedar Point was supposed to heal me, according to Sara. SO I can get on with my life and find someone and ... whatever." he doesn't want her uncomfortable with ex-lover talk.

Stephanie looks kindly at Michael "That's a horrible thing for anyone to ever go through. It was bad enough losing Eryn as her friend...but Tams...I could barely watch what it did to her and I can't imagine what either of you have had to feel. She's a reformed alcoholic now so if you need to talk...please talk...don't let it eat you from the inside like she did. As much as anyone can, I get it."


Micheal has turned the apple into thin slices in his anxiety. "Yea. Well, Tams doesn't know about me and Harley, but I can relate. But I had Sara. If not for her, I would have eaten my gun a long time ago." he shrugs. "I was pretty big then, but after that I have actually bulked up a lot more. Working out instead of eating ice cream and crying." he places some of the extra slices of cheese on the apple. "But now it's your turn." he glances up at her. "Ryan told me your ex ... Tristan's father .. was a jerk, but no details. What happened? I know its personal so slap me and tell me to shut the fuck up if you want ... uncomfortable questions and truths are pretty much an occupational hazard with me."

Steph finishes another cracker sandwich and makes a face as the topic turns to her life. "Colin Rankin." She breathes in and out slowly looking thoughtfully out at the water "We met in Business Admin at the Simon Fraser. We were both a little older than the right out of high school crowd so we connected. Then it became the typical girl meets boy, girl gets pregnant, boy takes off. It would have been nicer if he had been upfront about his plan to bolt earlier...and not you know...at the hospital when I was in labour. He's never contacted me since or asked to see Tristan so that's that. My family were and still are amazing though and Tristan's OK."


Michael listens as he chews and swallows. "Gotcha. I know there guys like that, cause I've dealt with a lot of them in the Vancouver PD. I've heard women comparing and it seems a lot would prefer a guy bolt at 'i'm pregnant' than after." he takes one of his prepared cheese and cracker sammies and adds an apple slice. "But if your son likes Batman, he's more than OK. And your brother is cool for his level of geek." he chuckles and pops the sammie in his mouth.

Steph laughs "Thanks Mike. That helps. I think we've run out of awful topics now right? Tell me about the kitty cat?"

Michael smiles and has another apple, cheese and cracker sandwich. Swallowing he grins. "I was patrolling after the earthquake and heard a mewling in a car that had crashed. She was inside of the car, all scared and whatnot." he doesn't tell the Lee part of the story, ignoring it as irrelevant. "I took her back to my place cause ... the town was chaos. I put up posters and everything, but no one claimed her. And she seems to like me okay. Plays with the strings of my sweat pants and hoodies and has a ball on my back while I do push-ups." he laughs. "I guess I'm one of those guys who likes to call himself taking care of those weaker than me .... but I think April can take care of herself quite nicely. If you come over and watch Parks and Rec with me, you'll learn why I named her April."

Stephanie grins "That's very sweet. Your feline personal trainer. I look forward to meeting her. Tristan has a fish tank so it might be cruel to have a cat." She chuckles.

Michael arches his brows and looks mischievous. "Nature of the male beast." he assures her. "To watch the hunt live, and in person. Will I have to ask Mom for a new fish, or will the cat fall in the tank and freak out, which is ALWAYS funny." he nods and then gets serious. "So .... if you look forward to it, does that mean me and you get to get you out for the occasional meal at a restaurant and movies and other places that specifically denies admittance to people under eighteen, let people think dirty things about us until you meet the man of your dreams and break up with me?" he looks at her hopefully, with a sort of boyishly handsome half smile.

Stephanie bursts out giggling "Wow...when you ask like that..." she turns her head, still getting a hold of herself and then says "Alright, we can give it a try. But also put a clause in there for you meeting the man of YOUR dreams." She looks at Michael seriously "I know the loss you've suffered is still with you but it might still happen one day that way Michael. And you're much more charming than I am so it ups your chances." she teases "the last real date I had was so bad I couldn't even be polite. I climbed out the bathroom window of an Italian restaurant in Surrey. By the way, we maybe shouldn't eat at that one unless I wear a wig and sunglasses."

Michael grins. "I thought it was premature to get on bended knee, too." he sighs. "I know, never say never." he doesn't mention that he's never had anything remotely serious since Harley .... or before Harley. He had one man who relieved a tension or two, but that was agreed upon sex ... nothing more than friendship. But then she tells about her last real date and his brows go up. "Noted, but that could be fun." he puts on a mock thoughtful face. "Oh wait, you were the guy so detestable she crawled out of the building as if it was on fire, right? That's impressive. Can I have your autograph?"


Stephanie shakes her head, smiling "That won't be necessary. But I may ask you to be my plus one for a wedding in October. Do you dance?"

Michael nods. "My mother taught me. No teasing." he considers. "I have a couple suits, if its formal. Just let me know what you're wearing so our ties don't clash." he holds up a hand. "I know I know ... sooooooooo gay."

Stephanie flutters her lashes "Should I start wearing ties? I do enjoy pantsuits." she teases. "Although it's one of my more traditional cousins, Tomiko Yamada, so I'll probably be in a dress to fake being a more tradition following Japanese Canadian. It's at the Nikkei Museum and Cultural Center in Burnaby, October 15th."

Michael chuckles. "Sorry. So MY tie doesn't clash." he sighs. "Could be the word 'wedding' threw me off. I've only been to two. My brothers and my own. So .... that means a kimono? I know less than nothing about Japanese culture. I really only got into the food when your brother and I got partnered up. You've probably seen me with chopsticks. Kinda a menace." he had taken to simply eating the sections of sushi roll with his fingers after one too many went flying.

Stephanie gives Michael an amused look as he reframes the tie thing and then shudders "Not that traditional...thank god. Just a tasteful dress should do it. When I first started working for my parents Mom had it in her head we should wear kimonos. You have to strategically tie them or pin them so they don't gape inappropriately. It's an awkward garment to work in. I was so glad when she gave up on that."

Michael smiles. "Parents and tradition. I've been there and done that, believe me. How a Celt and a German managed to fall in love I will never know. But I suppose I am lucky it is my mother who is the Celt ... my father would never go for a kilt ... man-skirt. Too.... you know." he shrugs.

Stephanie snorts "Has he met s Scotsman? Some of those kilted dudes have enough testosterone to kill a horse. Sadly I know because of Colin and his Scottish family but yeah, moving on. Anyhow, that would be awesome if you could come with me to Tomiko's wedding. I have to warn you though...my family tends to try and assimilate all perceived partners they like and I suspect they'll like you. India's one of us now. Mom's already planning the Christmas portrait positioning. I think I finally talked her out of the scuba gear underwater theme at the Vancouver Aquarium. I can't let her put a pregnant woman in a wet suit...it's just cruel. I dunno if Ryan's told you about the portrait thing. I'm sure his copies are well hidden."

Michael shames his head. "My father .... is German. Old school German." he grins. "India knows about me and so does Ryan. But ... I really am not the worst husband in the world. Sara had lovers. I never...." he cuts himself off at the scuba gear suggestion. "Ohhhhhh yeaaaaaaa .... Ryan failed to mention that. And India .. yea .. she won't get in a wet suit and she may attack anyone who tries to get her in one. She had a hell of a self defense instructor." he chuckles. "Now I gotta see those pictures...."

Stephanie thinks about what he says about Sara "So it was a marriage of convenience with Sara? She wanted a cover of hetero-normative domesticity so she could do what she wanted that wasn't that without eyes on her too?"

Michael sighs deeply. "Not exactly." he explains. "Yes, she was attracted to me. No, I never slept with her .. or any other woman. She saw through my lying about that and I confessed to her I was gay. Then she agreed to be my beard and .... yea ... she met my family as my girlfriend." he drops his head. "Maybe six months after Harley and I got together .... my family was pressuring me ... they loved Sara and ... there was no good reason for us NOT to get married. She knows how my father is ... she's seen fights over little shit ... seen him react to anything gay related. So .. she agreed to marry me. But it was MY idea that she didn't have to be faithful to me." he keeps his eyes averted. "Her career was beginning and ... honestly no one expects celebrities to be faithful ... so when Harley vanished ... and I saw no point in the ruse .. I wanted a divorce and we used the excuse that she'd been unfaithful.": he snorts. "My father still blames me. Hilarious." but he doesn't sound amused.

Steph takes in all in, nodding slowly. After she gives Michael a look of compassion and says "That's a mess alright. I'm so sorry. What is she famous for, Sara?"


Michael finally stops staring at the ground. "Well .. never know .. it may happen again .. although I expect as open, honest and strong as you are, my father may hate you even more than you'll hate him." then he grins. "She's a model and sometimes an actress. You'd have to be into the high fashion mags to know her face. She really is a great person."

Steph shrugs "I occasionally read Vogue...but mostly Cosmo for the stupid quizzes." She looks curious about the father comment "Well is he racist AND homophobic or just a minor garden variety jackass?" She smiles with sarcastic sweetness after.

Michael shrugs. "Shes mostly on the e-zines." he licks his lips. "He is old fashioned and blah blah blah. You're a single mother, for starters. That, of course makes you a gold digging whore out for my income." he blows out a breath. "He may also find some shit over your being Japanese ... you know ... like your father was a kamikaze pilot .. he isn't interested in things like facts. My great uncle was a child Nazi solider so ... it isn't like there's a whole lot of room to throw stones in my family."

Steph gives one derisive laugh and rolls her eyes "Good god! Well my father is a retired sushi chef. My grandfather did get thrown into an interment camp though ...you know for the crime of simply being Japanese in Canada at the wrong time and place.How did you turn out normal Mike? Geez..."


Michael chuckles. "Well, my mother is a sweet gentle Irish girl. I guess she has a taming effect on him or something. But my father will tell you he thought I was going to wuss out until I became a cop. As it was going to school and getting a criminology degree was a sign of weakness. Believe me .... there is a reason I am so deep in the closet."


Stephanie sighs "Well that just sucks. I'm here for you. So what now Michael?"


Michael offers her half a grin. "Now we date." he replies. "I take you out to dinner. Movies. Maybe a museum or something. If you want, Tristan can come, or I can be your adult escape." he winks and waggles his eyebrows. "But mostly ... we have fun and let people think. Whatever is in our future ... we'll worry about it then."


Stephanie laughs and nods "With you on all that. I guess we can just let the rumours start if folks see us walk back and I'll explain to Anna on the side. I already kind of drunkenly raved about you kissing me last night." 


Michael nods. "Yea. She was never really cooperative. Besides two redheads and she hasn't clocked me once ....." he shakes his head. "Unbelievable. And she'll ... well she knows I'm in the market and ....' he stops and grins. "Wait. You did? Raved?" he leans forward. "Do tell."


Stephanie gives Michael 's leg a little light shove kick "No because then your ego will swell till it pops." She giggles "And it wasn't so much my words but my general reaction....marshmallows and wine -bad!" 


Michael chuckles. "Oh I am VERY bisexual when it comes to having my ego stroked, baby." he teases. "Marshmallows and wine ..... I'm not so sure I want to know now." he strokes his chin. "But it must have been something .. which means I have to keep a smile on your face. And I will do my damnedest." he promises.


Stephanie sarcastically pffts and stands up "Alright Mr. Promises. Let's go fuel some rumours and see what the rest of the island is up to. But thanks for this..."


Michael stands with her and packs the basket back up. "Oh .. now whatever could we have been doing out in all this ... nature." he chuckles. All packed up, he hangs the basket off of his left arm and offers her his right to hold his hand or wrap his arm around her for the walk back. "Thanks Steph. You really are a lifesaver."

No comments:

Post a Comment