Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Casual RP at the Mariner's Dec. 12 - Han, Malik and Anna


Han Weng walks in looks around before siting bowing slight and sit 'hello'he say with his thick Chinese accent.

Malik Ayim is smiling and laughing with the waitress when the man sits. He looks t him. "You must be Hani's Dad, yea? Hello." he offers his hand across the table, looking happy as a clam.

Han Weng smiles and extends his own hand 'yes , I'm Han Weng, Hani's dad'he say softly bowing his head with the shake.

 Malik Ayim smiles. "It is good to meet you, Mr Weng." he replies. "Thank you for meeting with me. I now how busy you are."

Anna Wright walks in laden with a few holiday shopping bags. She sets them down and slides her coat off onto the bar stool. She gives a polite smile to the patrons already in there and collapses "Oh Deidre....hit me with one of those hot chocolate peppermint things please."

 Han Weng nods "Thank you." he says softly, noticing Anna ushering her over "Never to busy for family."he says softly.

Malik Ayim looks over at the woman with the bags and considers.  That sounds good!  He smiles at Han.  "That is very kind of you.  I did not know if I should consider you as family as Han and I share only a father."  he keeps the friendly smile.  "I wanted to make sure it was alright meeting with Hani.  While I want to know my brother, I do not want to disturb his life."

Anna Wright sees the ushering and holds up one finger as she waits for her drink. When Deidre passes it to her she takes it in hand, leaving her stuff and wanders to the table with Han and his table guest. She smiles at the both "Hi there." She smiles to Han and then the other man "How are you guys doing?"

Han Weng smiles as she comes over and looks over to Malik 'you are his family and now part of our family now 'he say softly 'family is important you are not a disturbing him 'he say with his sometimes messed up English ' he smiles turning to Anna "I'm good how are you?" he says with a bit of trouble but smiles.

Malik Ayim smiles as the red haired woman approaches with the pepperminty drink.  He looks at Han with the usual happy smile.  "Ah it is a good thing yes."  his accent is Colonial .. as is spoken all over West Africa.  "My mother was thinking about that as well."  he looks at the woman.  "Hello.  I am very well, thank you."

Anna Wright takes in Han's hesitation and what was being said about family. She looks curiously at the new man since he bears no family resemblance to the Weng's she can see but hey no one would have guessed she and Lee were siblings. With a welcoming face she says "I'm Anna. Are you in visiting...relatives for the holidays?" She asks of the man. He's quite young as well, the accent and his dark skin suggest Africa perhaps. She glances again and notices very blue eyes with a little blink but then keeps smiling.

Han Weng laughs softly 'he share the same father as Hani 'he speaks cheerfully beaming his own blue eyes blinking a bit fast but he smiles.

 Malik Ayim smiles at the woman.  "Well, yea and no."  he explains.  "I am in Canada to go to school in Vancouver.  Business.  My father lives here."  his blue eyes look at her, very friendly.  He grins when Han tells her about Wolf.  "Yes, we do. So I am getting to know my little brother and a new family."

Anna Wright's jaw drops for a second as she looks at Han and then the man. How many kids did Wolf have? Awkwardly she closes her mouth and smiles self consciously "Oh......oh well that's great that you've all connected." She gestures vaguely at the pair of them "Don't let me interrupt.....surely important conversations here...and welcome to Cedar Point."



Han Weng smiles at Anna "I don't think you're interrupting I just sat down." He smiles looking at her for a second as her jaw drops "I  think wolf lives here part time .. " He laughs "He likes to travel I think."

Malik Ayim watches her reaction and laughs in delight.  "Thank you ... and yes.  Please.  Sit with us."  he even motions to an empty chair.  "I am Malik Ayim."  he chuckles.  "Yes.  He was in the US Navy.  But ... apparently it is only my brother and I ... Wolf and my mother seem to be back together.  A VERY long story."  he admits.  "But I am 5 years older than Hani.  Eighteen just this September."

Anna Wright looks around and smiles. It's a quiet night. She sets down her drink "Alright, thank you, both of you. Just let me move my stuff over from the other spot." She sets down her drink and walks to the stool to gather her bag and coat. she slings the coat over the back of the chair and sets the bags on either side before sitting. She nods about Wolf "Yeah I see him around a lot. He's a good guy Wolf, a dear friend even."

Han Weng smiles 'so I come to meet Malik.. here'he say plainly 'yes i think he is good.. too i have a son because of him so yes he is good 'he smiles.

Malik Ayim smiles. "He seems to be. I only met him a couple of weeks ago when I moved here."  he chuckles.  "Quite the surprise for him, as my mother decided ... it was safer for me in Accra than the US.  Supremacists on both my mama and my papa's side, I am afraid."  he shrugs.  "But my mother said I could meet him when I was a man and .... here I am."  he smiles at Han.

Anna Wright's eyes widen about the supremacists after smiling at Han "Wow geez.....well we're pretty open to diversity in this town." She looks curious now "Did he ...I mean....that must have been weird for both of you. I actually met my Dad when I was ten but I still had some kid years with him."

Han Weng smiles 'well my Miku saw him at Chens one day and told me that she saw him 'he smiles 'then told Wolf about Han.. she could never find him before . 'he says softly blushing a bit 'she .. and him .. i think got too drunk and bam 'he says 'but .. yeah ' he say softly

Malik Ayim nods.  "I am finding that out, yes." he looks a little pensive.  "I have always known about my father ... and the reasons he did not know.  But for Wolf ... yes I imagine.  I tried to break it to him gently.  I the end I gave him my card... and I have my mothers last name... and .. well I have Wolf's eyes I am told."  he nods at the Wolf/Hani story.  "He was travelling a lot, in the military. And yes .... I understand ..there was a lot of alcohol involved." he grins slightly.  "I think Hani was worried about that until I told him I was also an accident ... and it is alright."

Anna Wright listens to Han, nodding slowly and then looks again at Malik's eyes "Yep, pretty darn blue. Well sometimes accidents are a good thing. I was one too. So you're here for school. Which University did you get into Malik?"


Han Weng chuckles softly ' i have too much water in my eye .. my grandmother say .. 'he say 'bu this . but accidents are sometimes a great thing.. i have a son because of it 'he smiles 'so its a great thing 'he smiles and nods at Anna'sand the world is better for you , Malik and our little Hani in it '

Malik Ayim beams.  "It was very difficult for me in school."  he admits when she mentions his eyes.  "My nickname wound up being Blue." he blushes at Han's words.  "Thank you Han."  then he chuckles and looks at Anna.  "Ah I am at UBC ... the business program."  he tells her.  "If I do well, I will work for my families textile company.  We make African clothing for Canada ... in other words ... warmer." he jokes.

Anna Wright grins at Han "Aww thanks." And then looks at Malik "Wouldn't it be lighter clothing if it's an African style? Or do you mean the textiles from Africa used to make clothes for here?" She's a bit tongue and cheek too, picking up on his joking tone.

Han Weng grins back and looks back at Malik smiling listening carefully.

 Malik Ayim chuckles.  "In theory, but we would go out of business if we did not use wool for caftans here in Canada."  he shudders.  "I have already wool suits, but my ties are all patterns from Africa."  the door opens and he shudders GAIN. "My blood misses Accra."

Anna Wright laughs "You will acclimatize if you stay long enough. This has been a particularly rough winter." She shudders "I heard someone compare us to Winnipeg the other day....of all the places in Canada. They have to plug in their cars every night so the engine doesn't cease....barbaric."

Han Weng looks around I'm used to the cold I live in new year for a while . but i took some time to get used to cold warm too coming from south china 'he say softly smiling.

Malik Ayim 's eyebrows raise and his eyes get bigger.  "Aye!  It is in the eighties and raining in Accra these days."  he sighs.  "I spend a lot of time at home with my heat on and sometimes under all my covers." he smiles.  "Plug in your car?  That sounds MUCH too old for me."  he chuckles.  "Is there a good car for this area?"  he wonders.  "I think I will get myself one for Christmas.  I could not stand the public transportation, but I do not want to rent forever."

Anna Wright looks at Han "You've lived all over. Cool..." She looks thoughtfully at Malik "Well there are lots of places to get a car. Have you tried Kijji to start? Might find a good second hand one?"

Han Weng looks at Anna smiling 'just south china, and new yuck.. and now here 'he say and nods to that "i get a good deal there for my car .. too 'eh says softly 'got my first license here 'eh laugh softly amused at himself 'but you're best bet is KIJJI

Malik Ayim considers that.  "Maybe.  I had wanted a new car, but my brothers friend Sasha told me to watch Adam Ruins Everything about cars, even though it is set in the United States.  SO maybe a new car is a good idea.  But I DO sort of want to be the first owner."  he chuckles.  A teenager .. of course.  Not even thinking about cost.  He chuckles.  "New Yuck...."  and then looks pensive again.  "I will go to that place. Where is it? I live in White Rock now.  I did not want to be so close to my mother for my first apartment."

Anna Wright shakes her head "Kijiji is an online service, like EBay. If you type in Vancouver you'll get local cars....you know I just thought of something...." She closes her eyes like she's trying to work through it "My brother Lee....the cops never asked me to move it but Ushi has the keys.....so I guess you'd ask her about buying it. Maybe let me talk to her first....my brother Lee has a car sitting in the police parking lot. He was lost to the earth quake. Ushi told me to just take it, but I can't. It's a good car though, old, but he was a hobby mechanic. It's a Chevrolet Cheetah, 1981 I think."

Han Weng looks oddly 'its the large pineapple .. or is that the large apple or something with pineapple pen apple pen 'he say 'i think that what the young people are saying call it ' he scratches his head 'ill go ask Hani later .. its were the umpire state building is 'he say softly rambling off in quickly Mandarin a sign he a bit frustrated 'its were they drop the ball on New York 'he says softly to them

Malik Ayim arches his brow at mention of a car, but a slow grin is spreading across his face.  "I like the name ....."  he admits.  "Are you sure you would not mind?  I am a careful driver. Not like most in Accra."  he boasts.  He looks at Han.  "Oh, the Big Apple." he smiles.  "I would love to see that someday live and in person.  Maybe I could take Hani, eh?"

Anna Wright smiles sadly "I'd rather someone use it well than have it rust out eventually unused. Lee would be crushed if that's the way his car went." She looks between Han and Malik "It's the place the world watches on New Year's." She sips almost to the bottom of her minty drink.

Han Weng nods 'its a good place but so busy .. i like this place so quiet but i miss Yoa's dim sum .. but this Chinese place .. egg drop soup is better .. but don't tell Yao i said that .. shes my great auntie and yeah 'he say quickly 'but yes .. he can show you around 'he smiles

Malik Ayim considers.  "I would treat it as if the spirit of your brother was watching me."  he promises, assuming her brother is dead.  "And I am very sorry to hear of your loss."  he nods.  "I have had the egg drop soup here.  I will try the Japanese someday.  And yes. Perhaps next year I will take him while I am on break from school."

Anna Wright smiles at Malik and then looks between he and Han "Never been much of an egg drop person but I like the WonTon soup and the hot and sour at the Lucky here. And Sakura's is literally the BEST Japanese food in BC and that's some tough competition. I am a little biased as I'm friends with the hostess and accountant." She downs her drink fully now, shaking the last dribbles down the cup to savour it all.


Han Weng nod 'they are good , sakura ... i think better then most restaurants in New York too .. even Miku uncles place the little samurai .. 'he say quickly 'ohhh don't say i say that either . Hani is on there logo.. well a cartoon version of him went he was dressed up for aki. matsuki when he was a baby . 'he rattles off 'but yes they have salmon roll that make you wanna slap your ancestors to get them 'he say laughs.

Malik Ayim smiles. "Then I will try it as soon as I can.  In January ... I start work and school, so I must do everything now." he watches her down her drink, amused.  Han's words, however make him laugh out loud.

Anna Wright giggles at the slap your ancestor's joke too and wipes a dab of her drink remains from a corner of her mouth "You guys are very fun. I need to get this stuff home though before I run into anyone in town who might peek in a bag and see their loot. Malik, if you give me your number I can ask Ushi about that car of Lee's and get back to you. Han, always nice to see you." She starts to gather her things up.

Han Weng bows as she leaves 'safe journey 'he smiles at her and turns to Malik smiling.

Malik Ayim smiles and gives her his number. It's a Canadian number at least.  He grins and nods at her.  "Have a good evening and I hope you make it home safe."

Anna Wright stands up after taking the card "Thanks. It's not far. Have a good night guys." She stops to pay for her drink and is out the door into the chilly post snow wet cold air.


No comments:

Post a Comment